Monday, September 27, 2010

Regarding my current job.

Being a member of the Santa Fe College of Martial Arts and Crafts University of Epic Fail, I've had some of the best instruction by writers possible in the nation. I've been taught by such notables as Matt Donovan, Ryan Leone, Greg Glazner, Mark Behr, and Robin Romm. Sadly, though Dana Levin regularly taught at the College of Santa Fe, with CSF's metamorphosis into the College of the University of Santa Fe Institution for Artistic Designs and Epic Fail, I never got got the chance to learn from her.

The point is, that I know a thing or two about writing. I'm working on my first novel, and doing my little "pray it doesn't suck" routine. Nothing thirty drafts won't cure. That said, when I went looking for work that I could do out in Santa Fe, the school had the "Writing Tutor" option. This seemed up my alley. I know people who've done the Writing Tutor job, and it mostly ends with them sitting in an empty room for 5 hours, waiting for someone to show up and get tutored. People are prideful I guess, because usually nobody wants to get tutored. I will note however, I have gone to the Writing Tutor (my friend Erin at the time) once or twice to get a draft of one of my stories read through before class. My fragile ego requires this so that I might get early praise. Either way, it's $9.85 an hour, and that's pretty damn good spending money. The other job I have, of course, is as the official tutor for English Lit II. Of course, if nobody calls me and says "I need help", I don't get paid for it. So far, nobody's called to ask for help.

I went through my first shift last week. I couldn't get my Campus Wireless set up beforehand, so I was stuck in the library without effective internet. It was boring, I spent the whole time playing Etrian Odyssey 3. Here's hoping that when my boss puts out the fliers for the damn tutor section that I'll get some business. Beats sitting around doing nothing for 5 hours. With any luck, I'll get the IT department to set my computer up for the campus wireless, which ought to make this whole thing a lot easier.

Not to mention, that finally getting a paycheck will be pretty sweet. Here's hoping, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment